Friday, September 10, 2010

Growing up...

You always hear parents say, "Enjoy every moment, they grow up too fast." Well, I've never quite experienced that until tonight. In the first year an infant passes through more milestones then they will for the rest of their life. It's exciting. They are constantly changing. For the last four months I've always found myself excited and anxious for the next milestone, what he'll do next, smile, laugh, reach, sit, eat solids, and so on. But tonight, as I held Samuel in my arms as he fell asleep, I felt for the first time, don't grow up too fast. I wished for that moment to last forever; for his whole body to be wrapped around mine, with both of my arms securing him against me. The words of 'I Am A Child of God' and 'Teach Me to Walk in the Light' came into my mind. I thought maybe if I held him forever and never put him down he wouldn't be able to grow past the depths and strength and love of my arms that encompassed him at that very moment. I thank my Eternal God and Father for the gift Samuel is in our lives. I now know I will NEVER be able to comprehend the love our Father in Heaven has for each of us.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if you've ever heard of or seen this quote. I don't know where it originates, but I have been experiencing the Truth of it these days. And, I think, most Mamas can relate: "The days are long, but the years are short." Perhaps for you, you might feel the truth of "The hours are long, but the days are short." Either way, another way to remind ourselves to enjoy the long-feeling parts while recognizing how quickly they truly pass!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete